Complex program of environmental safety and quality assurance in rural areas polluted with pesticides and heavy metals, impacting the quality of life.
In order to reduce the negative impact caused by pesticides and heavy metals, the project approaches integrated aspects concerning environmental quality and safety by proposing a comprehensive program to ensure these aspects in specific rural areas polluted with pesticides in Sibiu county (Saliste) and polluted with heavy metals (Copsa Mica) with impact on the quality of life. A complex social and economic mechanism based on the European principles and strategies in the domain of environmental and rural health will be developed and implemented. A correlation between the environmental factors specific for the studied rural areas that generate some potential ecological imbalances and indicators of medical biostatistics will be obtained.
Starting / Ending Date
Staff from Department of Public Health
- Technical University in Bucharest – Echo- Metallurgical Research and Expertise Center
- Babeș-Bolyai University (Institute of International Studies) Cluj-Napoca
- Center of Integration for Rural Health, Săliște, Sibiu County
- Local Council Copșa Mică, Sibiu County
- Regional Center for Health and Environment Risk Assessment Cluj-Napoca
- Screening of health status in relation to the exposure to pesticides and heavy metals;
- Elaboration and implementation of a complex Program aiming to ensure the quality and security in specific rural areas, contaminated with pesticides and heavy metals;
- Piloting of the European Directives regarding the exposure to pesticides and heavy metals in specific rural areas, through the light of health risk assessment related to the environmental media;
- Elaboration of the methodologies to investigate in an integrated approach based on modern and advanced ecological concepts, according to the integrated assessment models on health and the environment at the European level, becoming an expertise transfer and allowing a new approach in Romania, a country recently integrated into EU;
- Space and time distribution of pesticides and heavy metals and exposure assessment at the receptor level (population groups);
- Experimenting and optimizing the model of space and time distribution of pesticides and heavy metals in environmental media in the investigated rural areas (Sălişte şi Copşa Mica), including models analyzing the transfer from the source to the environmental media;
- Geographical Information System with the biomonitoring parameters;